In today’s modern world, there is an unspoken societal pressure that has led us to believe that we need to be perfect. Social media has created a façade that we shouldn’t show our vulnerabilities or daily struggles.
We hide behind our filters and perfectly curated grids, and we smile for pictures, but we suffer in silence.
We secretly compare our lives to the people we follow, leading us to have feelings of inadequacy and a fundamentally flawed perception of our own life experience.
We have somehow made ourselves forget that behind the smiles, and the perfectly curated pictures that we see of the people we have put onto pedestals, are humans who also have their silent struggles.
We are shamed into silence to not talk about our challenges with our mental health, for fear of being judged or rejected.
That fear is the cage many of us find ourselves living in our minds. And as long as we allow ourselves to be confined by it, we will continue to be prisoners living within its restricted walls. It will keep us trapped.
We will continue to be prisoners living within its restricted walls keeping us trapped, as prisoners held hostage by the inner workings of our minds.
That is, until the day we find the courage to break free beyond the limiting parameters of the prison walls of our own minds.
The power lies within us to break free from the shackles of our minds and break free!
Any tips to help combat your negative thoughts?
- Learn to be-friend your inner critic. Try pay attention to your negative thoughts when they arise and question them. Meet them with curiosity by asking yourself whether you truly believe them to be true.
- Get into the practice meditating. Start with short moments and build your tolerance incrementally.
- Practice patience with Self and others.
- Have a beginner’s mind and develop a relationship with yourself in the same way you would get to know a new friend in your life.
- Strengthen the power of your intuition by learning to trust yourself more.
- Be easy on yourself and resist the urge to strive for perfection.
- Learn the art of acceptance of the things you cannot control in your life.
- And lastly, learn to let go of all things that do not serve you. Be it toxic relationships, friendships, or people at work who may not value you.
You are enough as you are, and may you find the courage to begin your mental health and wellness journey today.